Why I Say No To "Me Time"

"How do you ever get a brake?"

"Don't you want some 'me time'?"

"You are crazy!"

"I would drink heavily if I had that many kids."

These are all things that people have said to me in the recent past. All in front of my kids by the way. The fact of the matter is that I don't want any 'me time.' I get the primes behind it. I have heard over and over- "you will be a better mom if you get some time away." But the truth is, I just don't agree. Well, I kinda don't agree. OK, hear me out- don't stop reading just yet. 

I have taken 'me time' and it just doesn't seem to work out that well. I get away and half the time I don't know what to do with my self. Then, when I do come back to my kids- I am more easily angered by them.  Even though I had a 'break' my heart is not in the right place!  I yell quicker and react harsher. If 'me time' is so great, why doesn't it feel that way? Sure, it feels fine while I am out and about, but then why don't I feel refreshed when I get home. Here is what I have come up with. 

Have Christ Time not Me Time.  
The trouble with 'me time' is that it's all about me. Really ladies, when is life ever really all about us? It isn't, nor should it be! We live in a society that says "do what feels good for you." But that's not what God says. Do you think it felt good to Jesus to hang and die on the cross? No way! Where would we all be if He had decided to do what felt good to Him? A hot, HOT mess; that's were we all would be! If we can steal a few moments away from our kids, we should use that time to make it about Jesus, not about us. I am involved in a group call, Run for God. It's two hours every week away from my 'wife/mom duty', but its not about me it's about God. I am with other Christians and we are talking about and running together for God. I feel so refreshed after this time. 

I could take that same two hours and do something solely for me. I grantee that I would not have the same refreshed feeling as when I use my time for Christ. God is the one who gives us our strength and renews our spirit. No pedicure or night out with the girls can do that. Now, I am not saying that these things are bad, what I am saying is that if you are a busy mom who only has a few minutes or hours a week for you then you are better off making it about Him instead.


Comments

  1. I think people make those comments because they may not have the heart for mommyhood like you do. What a great opportunity for you to, in front of your kids, be an encouragement to other women! We can't all always agree, but we can gently remind people that we are being who God made us to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comments don't bother me any more (they use too). Since I get these questions a lot ittells me this is what people reallt want to know. Thank you for your encouragement and in site Carlee.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Min Friday- Listen

5 Min Friday- One Month