How God Used A Pair of Scissors & A Toilet to Remind Me That He Loves Me.

My husband and I will be celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary next Saturday.  Years ago if you asked me to make a list of what I thought was important in a spouse I may have said something like this:

-Good looking
-Funny
-Likes to travel (which is so silly because I am a total home body!)
-Smart
-Not too controlling (or dominate).
-I also remember telling someone, "My husband WILL wear a wedding ring or I wont marry him."
-Loyal and faithful in marriage.
-Someone who loves animals

After 6 years of marriage and 4 kids, looking at this list I see so much fault in it! Some of these things are so totally not important! But, even though my head knows this, some days I forget how lucky I am. A few days ago God used my son to help me remember!

I was upstairs changing the baby when my oldest came up and said, in the whiniest voice she could muster up:

"Brother tried to flush my Ellie down the potty." (Ellie is a soft yellow lovie blanket with an elephant's head on it.)

"Oh no, did it get stuck?" I replied.

"No. It's still in the potty, I didn't want to take it out and make a mess."

"Thank you kiddo." I was amazed at the maturity of my 4 year old and thankful I didn't have to clean up toilet water all over the house.....

Enter my almost 3 year old girl twin, holing a toilet-water soaked Ellie. "I got Ellie." Awesome. There was a trail of toilet water through the enter house! Aaaaaaa!!

Okay. Deep. Breath. No worries....At least the potty isn't clogged!

At this point I made the biggest mistake! I first told my son that we don't ever play in the potty. The only things we put in the potty is pee-pee and poo-poo. Disobedience will result in a spanking! Then I asked him if he flushed anything else down the potty.

"Ummmm......no."

Right.

On this particular day everyone and their brother (literal) had to poop. A lot. And of course the potty wasn't working right. I kept plunging and plunging. But I couldn't get it working. My hubby came home around 7 and worked on it a bit. He decide that he needed to remove the toilet and investigate. So, toilet in the front yard, he busted it open and there it was:



 
 
Scissors.
The boy flushed scissors.  

To keep from crying I laughed.
 
And took a picture.
 
See, we have one bathroom in the house. One bathroom and one potty. A broken potty in the front yard means no potty to pee in.
 
My hubby had had a hard and long day at work. He had lots of book work to do for his company. Instead of showering and eating dinner and doing his book work, he was headed back to Home Depot to buy a toilet for us. It was 8 pm.
 
If it were me, I would have thrown a fit.  A tantrum. A tantrum fit for a 2 year old (I know how to do this really well. I have 4 little people that have taught me!) 
 
I would have yelled at me and said something mean like, "Don't you watch the kids? Why would you let him do this? Do you know how hard I have worked all day? Do you know how much I still have to do?"
 
I mean, I do this almost daily.  I get the kids in bed and then complain in my head about all I still have to do! I worked so hard all day and I still have laundry to do, dishes to wash and a husband to feed. (And don't forget that I didn't fit in my work out or my quiet time.....again.) I mumble and groan and get grumpy.
 
My husband on the other hand looked at me and said, "I'll be back." Gave me a kiss and a smile and was off. I was truly amazed at what a man I got!! I got lucky. Super lucky!
 
Headed into marriage I didn't think about how important it would be to have a man who was a hard worker.  Someone who was slow to anger and slow to speak. Someone who found immense value in a stay at home wife and mom.  Someone who understands that being "rich" has nothing to do with your bank account.
 
Six years ago I wasn't thinking about any of those things. But I got them. I got them all because even before I knew it, God was protecting me and was watching over me. He had a plan for my life and knew that I needed this man to carry it out!
 
Happy anniversary babe! You are an amazing man and I am so very thankful for you!!
 
 
 
 
 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Min Friday- Listen

5 Min Friday- One Month