Love Notes

I find something special  in a love note. Maybe it's the sensitive side of me or that words of affirmation is my love language, but when someone has taken the time to make sure I know that they love me, I jump for joy just a little. My husband, the wonderful man that he is, is not a writer. I tried to force him to write me love notes in a journal a few years ago. That cute little blue journal with the silver 'M' on the front was quickly lost after the initial love note was penned into it.  In fact most of my anniversary or birthday cards end with a simple "me" scratched at the bottom. That one word makes me smile because I know doing just that was completely outside of his comfort zone! Last year my sweet friend signed us up for a local marriage conference. It was not something we would have done on our own, so we headed in with a skeptical mindset. Imagine my excitement when I was looking over the agenda and noticed a time blocked out for 'writing a love note to your spouse.' My heart leaped inside knowing I was going to get a love note from my husband, no matter how forced it would have been! As soon as we got home, I tucked it away in a special spot!

Over the years, I have learned, that the sweetest of Love Notes are the ones that come from my Lord. They show up when I least expect them and usually when they are most needed. I know you get them too. It's that perfect worship song on the radio at just the right time. It's when your Bible falls open to the perfect verse that you just know he put in there for you! It's a text message from a friend who says 'praying for you' even though she doesn't know you needed it! God promises that if we seek him, we will find him. I love finding him in sweet love notes.

The most recent love note came just this week.

This past Sunday I was unable to attend church. A friend posted on Facebook how good the sermon was and shared his 3 "quick" points. I remember reading that and thinking, "Aw man, I wish I had the sermon notes to know what scripture went with those points!"

The people of our church are navigating the pain of the recent passing of someone dear. I can read the pain in their Facebook posts and I see it in the eyes of my friends. That evening, I penned a quick love note of my own to a friend who I know is hurting. She's tired and weary and she misses her friend. A few days earlier I found a verse on canvas for her at the Walmart, of all places. I warped it up and took it to school with me on Monday so she could have it.

Monday morning brings a new week and empty cupboards in this old house. After I dropped the kids off at school I headed to BJ's for our grocery haul! I hopped out of the car and grabbed the closest stray cart in the parking lot to take into the store with me. In the basket of that cart was the sermon notes from the day before that someone had left behind. I could hear my Father saying "you wanted the sermon notes. Here they are!" I thanked him and stuck them in my purse where I promptly forgot about them!

That's the thing with love notes; They are easy to miss if we aren't looking and even easier to forget if we let the business of life consume our every thought.

Early Tuesday morning as I was making coffee and preparing this quiet little farm house for the impending invasion of sleepy, hungry kids. *lots of sleepy, hungry kids* I opened Facebook to find the replay of the live stream from that Sundays sermon. It was almost like a postscript on my love note from the day before. As I sipped coffee and fried fresh-from-the-coop eggs, I took out the sermon notes. In my kitchen God spoke life into my day through our pastor. I realized then that the verse I had found days before for a friend was one that my pastor had placed in his sermon notes. It was the exclamation mark on the "I love You!" from the Lord. I thought that verse was one she need, but in reality, my heart needed it as well.

"You will keep in perfect peace 
him who's mind is steadfast, 
because he trusts in you." 
-Isaiah 26:3 

Lord, 
I pray that your word is true. That those who love you and trust in you, who's mind stays fixed on you- that you will give them a perfect peace that can only come from you. Lord I pray that those reading this will receive a sweet love note from you. That they will see it, cherish it and be changed by it. 
Amen. 

Comments

  1. That’s awesome. I believe that is the Holy Spirit hard at work. So glad you foundnwhst you were looking for. Thanks for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Min Friday- Listen

5 Min Friday- One Month