Lessons in the Waiting

Have you ever wanted something so bad, but you had to wait? Either you were to scared go through with it, or it just wasn't the right time. You are sitting there knowing that this thing is something you desperately want but when it comes time to do it, you just can't.  Or maybe its something you've prayed for and you know in you soul that it is something you desire but for what ever reason God says "Wait. Now is not the time." The desire doesn't leave you but the waiting is where you must stay.

My family; My daughter learned a lesson in waiting today. And as I sat and watched my daughter cry big tears for something she desperately wanted, but just couldn't go through with, my heart broke. A year ago, I would have gotten angry with her. I would have scolded and spanked and totally missed the lesson God was trying to teach us both. But thankfully as I watched her cry and I started to get upset, God whispered to my heart "look for the lesson." It's a homeschooling joke isn't it? That theres a lesson in everything.  We plan our vacations around what we are learning in history and we look for every opportunity to teach them something new. But honestly, the lessons that the kids are learning, I am as well. And today was a big one for us both. I don't  believe learning is only found in a book or inside the school walls. I believe the best and most important learning comes from living life. Just doing the mundane things we always do. Grocery shopping a driving in the car. Preparing a meal and trying to play a board game (have you done that with 5 small kids? Because that one will truly test your patience level.) The best lessons are learned from living life with your kids, if we would just slow down long enough to notice them.

This daughter of mine has taken some time to get to know. To understand.  There are 5 of them to keep track of, to raise and teach and do my best by. I have heard people say something like 'I raised them all the same.' But I don't believe you can raise each child the same. Some, I'm learning, need a tougher tone of voice, a stronger lesson learned. A mear look in their direction doesn't get them back under control. And this daughter, she has been my hardest to crack. It's not that she's difficult or bad or any other negative spin you want to put on her personality.  She's amazing, and kind and so, so insightful. She trys hard and loves life.  But shes a perfectionist and she's quiet with her feelings and her words. She's the only introvert living in a small home full of loud extroverts! I mean, that has to be hard.

Today we went to get her ears pierced. We tried once before a few weeks ago. The tatoo parlor we went to was bright and welcoming and the tatoo artists were kind, but the environment was new and she wasn't ready. She watched her younger sister get her ears pierced and she got scared. So we waited. We waited until she was ready, or so we thought.  Today when we went she was still scared. She couldn't get her tears under control, or her swinging legs. Every time the tatoo artist touched her ear, she flinched. She wasnt ready. It was clear. But I knew how desperately she wanted them done. So I tried. I prayed for her. I spoke to her sternly but lovingly.  She would say she wanted them done but then cry and flinch and say she was scared.  She just wasn't ready! So we wait.

What I realized, as we sat on the bench outside the tatoo shop to talk, was that it's ok to want something but not be ready. She sat on my lap and cried and I prayed for her again. We talk about all the times we may have to wait for things in our lives. We may have to wait on getting into a university, or on a husband or a baby or a job. Or to get our ears pierced. And that is ok. Waiting is hard, but many important lessons can be learned in the waiting. The bible is full of them. Abraham and Sarah waited 25 years for the baby God promised them. David waited and waited before he became the king he was told he'd be. Mary waited between her Sons death and his resurrection.  So many lessons on waiting. Life is full of waiting. And that's ok.

As we went about the rest of our day I thought about my Lord and all the times I've asked him for things. Things I desperately wanted, but then when he offered them, I flinched.  How many times he lovingly said "I hear your desire, but you're not ready. And that's ok." I love that the simple (or not so simple) act of piercing my daughters ears can draw us both closer to the Lord.  There are so many lessons to learn, if we will slow down long enough to learn them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Min Friday- Listen

5 Min Friday- One Month